Monday, August 23, 2010

Allie's First Day Of 8th Grade

Today was the day!  Allie's and my first day of full-time homeschooling... and it went great!

Every year since Allie started preschool, we have had the same special breakfast on the first day of school.  Tomorrow, on Jack's first day of 5th grade we will serve that traditional meal to the family.  Today, though, I wanted Allie to have something special, so when I was out for an early morning appointment this morning I stopped on my way home to pick up her favorite - a frappaccino and piece of lemon bread from Starbuck's.  I served it to her on our "You Are Special Today" plate (of course), and welcomed her to the kitchen table/ school area with a message on the plate that announces all of our family's big events, special days, and countdowns.



Before Corey went to work, our family gathered around Allie and prayed blessings over her as she starts the school year then we began our school day.

I called all of the kids to the kitchen table, and they listened as I read from the Bible.  Cooper managed to stay seated and quiet by writing and drawing in his little journal the whole time that I read, and Jack anxiously awaited the chance to answer questions about what we had just read the entire time.  After Bible Time we shared prayer requests, recorded them in a little journal, and prayed together before the boys headed upstairs to play.

Allie and I spent "Day 1" at the kitchen table going through each subject, one by one.  We looked through each book and learned how it was organized.  I explained to her how her lessons were set up and how I planned for her work on each subject.  We set up a couple of notebooks, planned how she would organize herself, and she took a pre-test.  One of my favorite things that we did today was journal together.  Daily, she will have a journal assignment.  I bought myself a journal too, and I plan to write at the same time that she does... something that I enjoy doing and never seem to find the time for.

We love our journals!

That just about sums up Day 1 of our new homeschool adventure.  Tomorrow, Allie will hit the books with full-force, and I think that we both feel ready for that now.

P.S. This is what Allie's puppy, Miss Norah Jonas, does while we are homeschooling....  She sits on the kitchen chair right beside us and hangs out.  :)  How cute is that?!?

2 comments:

  1. I love that you got her a frappucino on the first day ... that's a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be such a great year for both of you I think. Your kids are so blessed to have a mom that will do whatever is best for them individually when it comes to school. I know that it is not easy to keep up with their schedules, but you do a great job. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete