Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Jack's First Day Of 5th Grade

The night before Jack was to start 5th Grade I made sure that we had checked and double checked his backpack, packed his lunch, laid out his uniform, and set the alarm clock.  I had asked Corey to go to the grocery store to pick up a couple of items that we needed for the traditional First Day Of School smiley-face pancakes that we have every year.  Everything was organized, and we were ready for a smooth start to a new year as I crawled into bed.

The next morning (today), I opened my eyes and instantly thought, "Wow!  It sure is bright in here for 6am."  (I hadn't seen that time of day much throughout the summer.)  I turned my head toward the clock and almost hit my head on the ceiling as I jumped out of bed... It was 7:05, and we had to leave the house at 7:15 to make it to Jack's first day of school on time.  I ran downstairs to Corey's office and asked him to make pancakes, and I ran back upstairs to wake 3 kiddos that were sleeping as hard as rocks.  I am not sure how I thought that we would have time to eat the pancakes that Corey was making, but somehow in my groggy mind, I thought that that was a priority on the first day of school... It has ALWAYS happened, and it MUST happen today!  I squirted the boys' bed-head hair, yelled commands and requests at everyone in the family, threw a dress on that was on the floor by my bed, and found that my 10 minutes to get ready was up.  I ran downstairs and yelled for Jack to come have his smiley-face pancake.  It was fresh off the griddle and was so hot when Corey made the face that the whipped cream was melting, and it was just terrible looking.  Jack was such a good sport, and he made a silly face to match his smiley-face pancake.  I snapped a photo, he grabbed his backpack, and we ran out the door... without one single bite of pancake.  We stopped in front of the house to take the traditional First Day Of School photo (because Lord knows that you can't think about going to school without that!), jumped into the car, and drove to school.




~ Jack and Dad ~

By the time that we pulled into the parking lot, Jack had eaten a breakfast bar, my heart rate had reached a regular speed again, and we headed into the school... to 5th Grade.  As we walked into the classroom, Jack realized that he had set his school supply box down at home and in the chaos had forgotten to pick it back up.  His teacher was kind about it, and his daddy drove home and back to save the day.  I took some photos of him, kissed him on the cheek (yes, he still let me), and told him goodbye for the day.

~ Mom & Jack ~


It wasn't until later in the day that the, "Oh my gosh... my baby is in FIFTH GRADE!!!" feeling hit me.  I didn't cry, but I just had a moment where the reality of the lightning-fast speed of life was clear.  That happens to me on days like today.  I reflected on the things that I hoped for Jack this new school year.  I journaled about them.  I prayed for him.  And I missed him.

Before long, it was time to go pick him up, and I was so ready to hear about his day.  He said it was a great one.  He liked his teacher a lot, and he was thrilled to see his friends again.  I have a feeling that this is going to be a good year for him and for our family...

Oh, and what did Cooper do during all of the crazy chaos this morning?... Well, as always, he was just along for the ride.  Entertaining us the whole time.  Sweet boy!

1 comment:

  1. What a crazy way to start the day ... good thing Jack's so easy-going.

    ReplyDelete